The copywriting process
Polly Holbrook | 16 May 2012
PracticeWEB Content Lead Rebecca Sargent talks us through the copywriting process that we take clients through to ensure their website helps drive new business enquiries.
Ok so you have bought a new website, or you may just be giving your existing website a refresh and you need some help with copywriting? This is the process we will take you through to ensure that you free up your time and get the copy that you need to make your website work for you.
- Identifying your requirements – you may just want a couple of key areas like your home and about us pages written, you may want your entire website written, or you may just want to give your existing copy a refresh. We can help you to decide on the best plan of action for you and your website.
- Getting to know you – every client is different. To write your copy well we need to get under the skin of your firm and how you work. Depending on the level of service you have chosen, we will either come to see you in person for a day to really get a good understanding of you and your approach, or we will do this over the phone at your convenience.
- Getting to know your audience – who is it that you are talking to? What do they want to hear? What do you want them to do? This step is vital in creating effective, action lead copy for your website.
- Making sure you are found – all website copy should be written with SEO in mind. We will work alongside our internal search experts to make sure that we are using the right keywords in your content, and that your page titles and meta data make sense, but we do not write for search engines, we write for your audience and in a way that means they can find you.
- Cutting the jargon – you are the experts, and you know your services inside out, but we know that your audience does not always. We will take this into consideration before writing the first draft and make sure that the copy is written in a way that is easy to grasp.
- First drafts – the next step is for us to craft the first version of your website copy. We don't expect to get it perfect first time – no one does! And this first round is vital in ensuring that we have really captured the essence of your firm – this will of course go through our internal editing processes too to ensure that no simple typos slip through the net!
- Second drafts – this is when the copy really starts to take shape and come to life through collaborative input from you and us. We start to hone and perfect the copy, and this can be the final hurdle, but if it takes another round of amends, we can do this too.
- Final sign off – the back drop for this depends on the stage of your website project – where possible final sign off should take place within the design of your website so you can see the copy in action and make sure it fits with the look and feel of your site too.
Editing is different, but essentially all of the points above are taken into consideration before we even look at your content so that we can apply fresh eyes and a fresh perspective, but with a good understanding of your requirements.
We are here to take the weight of copywriting off you, we are experts in this area and our copywriters have years of experience in writing content specifically for accountants, financial planners and advisers. Find out more about our service here, or contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can help you.