An update on what you are legally required to include on your website and emails.
Since 2007, the Companies Act has stated that registered companies must display certain information on their website and in their emails or they will be in breach of the act.
Not doing so will mean you risk a fine.
If you are a registered company, you should be aware that you need to display the following:
- name, geographic address and email address of the service provider. The name of the organisation with which the customer is contracting must be given. This might differ from the trading name. Any such difference should be explained as “ABC.com is the trading name of ABC Enterprises Limited”
- the registration number and the place of registration should be stated (e.g. “ABC Enterprises Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1234567”)
- if your business is a member of a trade or professional association, membership details, including any registration number, should be provided
- if you have a VAT number, it should be stated – even if your website is not being used for e-commerce transactions
- it is not sufficient to include a ‘contact us’ form without also providing an email address and geographic address.
The following now also applies to LLPs (Limited Liability Partnerships)
As of 31 January 2015, The Company, Limited Liability Partnership and Business (Names and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2015 came into force.
Section 25 describes information that must now be displayed:
- the part of the United Kingdom in which the company is registered
- the company’s registered number
- the address of the company’s registered office
- in the case of a limited company exempt from the obligation to use the word “limited” as part of its registered name under section 60 of the Act, the fact that it is a limited company
- in the case of a community interest company which is not a public company, the fact that it is a limited company
- in the case of an investment company within the meaning of section 833 of the Act, the fact that it is such a company.
If you are registered and this information is not appearing on your website or website emails, please send the relevant information to our Client Support team on email@example.com and they will update your website.